Students’ social lives have been heavily dependent on social networking. These networks enable school children to interact, communicate, view knowledge, and conduct analysis. The impact of social media networks on our education system is becoming a powerful controlling force in today’s global age of linked learning.
People from all over the world will communicate through social media, which is considered one of the most powerful mediums of communication in the twenty-first century. Here’s the how social media is impacting the today’s educational system.
Pros of Social Media
- Improves Academic performance: A significant advantage of social media is that it lets students boost their academic performance and skills by capturing the latest and most relevant data and information.
- Online Learning: Students are encouraged and inspired to study as a result of the advanced use of social media sites. YouTube has a lot of educational content. Any of the main aspects that contribute to educational growth include the use of YouTube to view educational videos, easy access to e-books, online notes, and learning through video calling. Social Media has enabled distance learning, which is one of the easiest opportunities to learn from a reputable organisation when being in any place. In fact, there are multiple study groups online for various subjects that students can enter and learn from.
- Improves creativity: Social media aids in the development of artistic abilities in children by encouraging them to learn and then pursue creative ideas on their own. When a student begins to take photos and use online editing skills to make them appear aesthetically pleasing, his or her secret potential is often exposed. A large number of teenagers are now making YouTube videos. Many students have fascinating hobbies that they document online through videos and photos, allowing them to see their future as a profession. In every school, the use of social media can be a valuable source of education that motivates students to learn.
- Easy accessibility to the subject experts: The wonderful thing about using social media is that you quickly learn who the experts are in various fields and topics. When you start studying these experts, you will learn more about them and obtain useful content from them, allowing you to achieve exceptional results. Social media will extend your viewpoint on a range of issues and offer timely, illuminating content. You have the ability to communicate with professionals to discover answers to challenges you might be facing.
Cons of Social Media
- However, there are certain negative impacts too which should be taken care of like health issues. The careless use of social media sites can have both mental and physical consequences for one’s health. Students do not eat on time, do not get enough sleep, and their constant use of a cell or laptop may have negative effects on their eyes. Students become lazy and unmotivated to learn or even go out to meet new people as a result of such actions. Overuse in social media will have negative consequences for students’ brains, including poor balance, eye pressure, and physical and mental tension.
- The use of social media platforms is a major factor in distraction. Students nowadays are less focused on their studies and prefer to spend their time on social media. So, it important for parents to make sure that social media is used only to the extent that it benefits the students.
Students and educational institutions use social networking resources to develop their learning processes in a variety of ways. Educational blogs for students are freely available on the internet. There is useful knowledge to be learned from social interactions and different perspectives on various topics or problems for research purposes. Students should also use social media to form important relationships that will support them in the future. As a academician and student, it is critical to be active on a variety of social media channels, as this aids in the development of better student training plans and the shaping of student culture.
These are some of the ways how social media is impacting today’s education system all around the world. While the benefits of online education overall facilitate better learning, a parental or supervisor is important. Follow the blog Educational Know How to get the latest educational updates, online educational news, and trends of the education industry to make the most out of social media for quality education.